The best way to make any diet successful is to always have “approved” food on hand. If you find yourself hungry with nothing that falls in the guidelines within arms reach, you are bound to eat something you shouldn’t. Then comes the beating yourself up over eating said item, then eating something else that’s not approved since you’ve basically just thrown all your hard work away, and on and on… Oh… is that just me? Sorry. Anyways, I want to make sure you’re set up for success! I’ve put together a list items I tend to always have in either my pantry or refrigerator in order to make meal prep or snacking compliant and easy.
- Chomps Snack Sticks – I always load up my cart with these babies whenever I go to Trader Joe’s. I think I get them for around $1.50 per stick (but don’t quote me on that). For me, they are a perfect after workout snack.
- Nuts – I always have almonds, cashews and macadamia nuts on hand for snacking. Since the are high in good fat they are a great choice. Although I usually stick to raw nuts, I recently found these Rosemary Marcona Almonds at Trader Joe’s and am completely obsessed.
- Almond Butter – I can eat it off the spoon it’s so good. I tend to stick with Barney Butter because they don’t add any sugar (read your labels!).
- Lily’s Chocolate – Sometimes I just want something sweet. These stevia sweetened chocolate bars (and chocolate chips) are sent straight from Heaven. They have tons of flavor options and they are de-licious. Be sure to watch your serving size and carbs though…
- Kerrygold Butter – You guys… It’s almost embarrassing how much butter I go through! But I always keep it Kerrygold because the cows are grassfed and hormone free. Trader Joe’s seems to have the best price.
- Ghee – Ghee is clarified butter. I love to with it, especially Indian and other ethnic dishes as it has a really great flavor.
- Coconut Oil – A great cooking fat, and the perfect ingredient for fat bombs. When I first started Keto and was unsure of how to get my fat intake up, I would literally eat spoonfuls of it. I wouldn’t recommend that unless you have a strong stomach though…
- Eggs – Always a great go-to when you don’t have anything else in the fridge, especially for breakfast.
- Heavy Cream – Need to add some fat to your chicken dinner? Make a cream sauce! This has seriously been my favorite part of eating Keto.
- Coconut Milk / Coconut Cream – Also a great ingredient in sauces to get your fat content up.
- Riced Cauliflower – I’m not even joking when I say that 1/4 of my cart is filled with frozen caulk rice at Trader Joe’s. They have 12oz bags of organic rices cauliflower for $2!!! I’m pretty sure you can’t even buy an organic head of cauliflower for that cheap.
- La Croix – If you haven’t jumped on the La Croix bandwagon, get thee to a grocery store!!! I buy pallets of the stuff at Costco. I love them because it feels like I’m having a soda, but I’m not having anything bad (it’s just naturally flavored sparkling water). I’m thinking of doing a post on sugar-free La Croix cocktails soon…
I hope all of this helps you to keep your fridge and pantry stocked with plenty of “safe” foods! As always, please let me know if you have any questions!